By Liliana Usvat
Here are few old trees that are still alive. It would be nice to preserve them and plant more.
Pinus longaeva, the Great Basin bristlecone pine, is a long-living species of tree found in the higher mountains of the southwest United States. The species is one of three closely related trees known as bristlecone pines and is sometimes known as the Intermountain or Western bristlecone pine. One member of this species, at 5063 years old, is the oldest known living non-clonal organism on Earth.
A specimen of this species, located in the White Mountains of California was measured by Tom Harlan to be 5,062 years old in 2012.
“Sisters” or the the Olive trees of Noah, are the 16 oldest olive trees in the world found in the community of Bechealeh, Lebanon. Some 6,000 years old, folklorists say these have Biblical origins.
Sequoiadendron giganteum -The Muir Snag, believed to be over 3500 years old living in California in the Converse Basin. This is is a grove of giant sequoia trees located in the Sequoia National Forest in the Sierra Nevada in eastern California. The grove is situated 5 miles (8 km) north of General Grant Grove, just outside of Kings Canyon National Park.Converse Basin was logged of most of its giant sequoias between 1892 and 1918. Some 60-100 large specimens survive out of some 6,000..
Sarv-e Abar-Kuh , also called the Zoroastrian Sarv, is a Cupressus sempervirens tree in Abarkuh, Yazd, Iran. It is protected by the Cultural Heritage Organization of Iran as a national natural monument and is indeed a major tourist attraction with a height of 25 metres and circumference of 18 metres. It is estimated to be over 4000 years old and may be the oldest living thing in Asia
- Super Photosynthesizers: Methuselah and Prometheus (newunderthesunblog.wordpress.com)
- How To Live Forever By Being Mostly Dead (motherboard.vice.com)
- Bristlecone Pines : The Oldest Trees On Earth (2eyeswatching.com)
- Top 10 Amazing Trees (toptenz.net)
- The Bristlecone Pine and the Church (wisdomoftheweek.com)
- 1500 years old olive tree (monounsaturated.wordpress.com)
- Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest (casadanuvea.com)
- Great Basin Collecting Trip iReport (beetlesinthebush.wordpress.com)
- The Ancient Bristlecone Pine Forest 2012 (hollywoodglobetrotter.wordpress.com)