By Liliana Usvat
The Ancient Romans referred to the peach as malum persicum “Persian apple”, later becoming French pêche, hence the English “peach”.
Peaches were mentioned in Chinese writings as far back as the 10th century BC and were a favoured fruit of kings and emperors. As of late, the history of cultivation of peaches in China has been extensively reviewed citing numerous original manuscripts dating back to 1100 BC.
Although its botanical name Prunus persica refers to Persia (present Iran) from where it came to Europe, genetic studies suggest peaches originated in China, where they have been cultivated since the early days of Chinese culture, circa 2000 BC.
Peach tree is portrayed in the domuswall paintings of the towns destroyed by the Vesuvius eruption of 79 AD, with the oldest artistic representations of peach fruit, discovered so far, are in the two fragments of wall paintings, dated back to the 1st century AD, in Herculaneum, now preserved in the National Archaeological Museum in Naples.
Spinach Salad with Peaches and Pecans
- 3/4 cup pecans
- 2 ripe peaches
- 4 cups baby spinach, rinsed and dried
- 1/4 cup poppy seed salad dressing
Major Health Benefits of Peaches
- Contribute in eye health – Beta carotene is responsible for eye health. Lots of people around the world are in sight problem for lacking of beta carotene. Peach fruit can be their hope. Peaches are a rich source of beta carotene that improves vision health by increasing circulation of blood in the all body parts.
- Does excellent for skin – One of the major health benefits of peaches is for skin care. It’s a great source of Vitamin C which is widely used for skin care. You can get plenty of Vitamin C from a large peach. Apart from health benefits, you can directly use peaches for skin care such dark circles and wrinkles.
- Toxin cleanser – We take many toxins daily with our daily meals that once does harm for kidneys. Peaches contain high amount of fiber and potassium that reduces kidney related diseases and lessens the risk of ulcer. It’s a hidden health benefit of peaches.
- Weight control – Regular intake of one large peach can help you to lose weight. One peach contains only 68 calories surprisingly with no fat. Peach, however, is an ideal diet for dieters.
- Full of Vitamins – Peaches are the rich source of multivitamins and minerals. They have vitamins including A, C, E, and K with seven particular minerals (calcium, copper, iron, magnesium, zinc, Manganese and Phosphorus).
- Rich source of antioxidant and fiber – A study has shown that, peaches are a good source of antioxidant and fiber. Antioxidant, Chlorogenic acid, works as anti-inflammatory in the body. On the other side, fiber is good for digestion. It also prevents constipation.
- Works against Cancer and heart disease – Studies have found that, lycopene and lutein in peach helps to prevent macular degeneration and cancer. And it also significantly decreases risk of heart disease.
- Choose a site with well-drained, moderately fertile soil in full sun. Be sure to avoid low areas because frost can more easily settle there and destroy your peaches.
- Plant the trees in spring. It is best to plant the trees the day you get them (if possible). Pick a tree that is about 1 year old.
- For container-grown trees, remove the plant from its pot and remove any circling roots by laying the root ball on its side and using shears to cut through the roots.
- Dig a hole that is a few inches deeper and wider than the spread of the roots. Set the tree on top of a small mound of soil in the middle of the hole. Be sure to spread the roots away from the trunk without excessively bending them.
- If you are planting standard-size trees, space them 15 to 20 feet apart. Space dwarf trees 10 to 12 feet apart. However, most types of peach trees are self-fertile, so planting one tree at a time is fine
- Peach Trees (thistle25.wordpress.com)
- The Peach Tree (lorinac.wordpress.com)
- Caring for peach trees (respublica.typepad.com)
- January is tree upkeep in the yard (southwestbackyard.wordpress.com)
- Save Some Peaches For Winter! (briannaalleman.wordpress.com)
- A DIY Glossary On Seasonal Fruit Trees (diy-home-tips.com)
- Mini Peach Pie Cups (bakerscraze.wordpress.com)
- Acronyms in the story: Jason Tellers (theireyeswerewatchinggod2013.wordpress.com)
- Planting Trees in Your Home Garden Landscape (diy-home-tips.com)
- Local growers welcome federal help to battle citrus greening (TBO.com)